It feels like we have been here forever though it is only our third day. Our eyes are now accustomed to the grand sweeps of of grey, green, olive and sometimes fluorescent green seas. The bow of Pelican1 has been pointing towards the mangroves where two of our crew had an unsettling encounter with a croc yesterday. Last night as I was nearly asleep (many of the cabins are in the hull), I felt something whack into the side and thought it must be the locals reminding us that we are in their territory.


We are fairly self-sufficient on the boat and I think one of the appeals of life at sea or camping is the independence from any outside infrastructure (she says while typing on her computer). There is one system on the boat that is crucial to charging the batteries ( this can be done on the main engine, but it is not designed for it) and creating drinkable water (it runs the desalinator). This is the kubota. A noisy beast but very efficient. When it works that is. The last week it has been failing us by cutting out all the time. So today was the day to fix the kubota or we were in trouble.


Pelican Expeditions is made up of a small group of people but within that group is a wealth of skills. Nick Kelly, who is not on board as he and partner are expecting their second child soon, is one of that core group. His skills extend to computers, electrical systems, accounting, sailing and being an all round very nice guy. So Garry, pictured above, contacted Nick and described our problems. Garry who mainly built the boat and now skippers, generally leaves the electrical side to Nick. But we are a long way from Nick...
So to cut a long story short, with support from Karl and Raf, the crew managed to at least fix the problem to get it all running. Nick sent his ideas and the plans over the net and working together we now have a system up and running. Woo hoo.
So we have now lifted anchor and Pelican is scooting back across the water to Portland Rds in readiness for our next gig tomorrow.

AuthorMichelle Quach